Friday, March 4, 2011

Cultural faux pas number 762:

I went to a new part of town last week. The nature of the location necessitated that I take a form of transportation new to me in this city: the bus. I boarded the great monster just in time to avoid the torrential downpour. I loaded at the back entrance and saw no empty seats. I walked the length of the bus to be sure my eyes weren't tricking my body into the discomfort of standing for the long ride. All the seats were indeed taken. My thoughts drifted toward my lady-ness, secretly hoping one of the men would realize their chivalrous duty and offer... oh... yep... he noticed... he's standing... he's definitely looking at me. I drop my chin and raise my eyes to his shoulder in order to read his face without making eye contact as a woman to an eastern man. He's definitely acknowledging me. He's walking straight towards me, standing next to me and watching me. I give a short bow with my neck and drop my face farther in thanks. I take his seat at the front of the bus. A pause. He's walking toward me again... oh no! he just wants to talk to me because I'm white. He probably wants me to teach his nephew English... What's that? He stretches his arms out and shows me the long sliver tube he's carrying. Wow, quite a coin collection... Oh! Oh my! He's the attendant! I just took the seat of the money collector! I can't help but chuckle. He came to collect my alms and I took the opportunity to snag his seat, never even revealing my change purse. Silly foreigner!

1 comment:

  1. Skye, your stories are so detailed. I feel like I am there with you! I love it!! Funny stuff too! You have an awesome way of telling stories. such a great writer.

    Well, I miss our random phone calls but I'm so glad to be on your email list and able to read your blog :)

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete