Tuesday, April 12, 2011

26 March - a journal entry

A successful walk into town. I went in search for Mercy but couldn't find her. We had agreed to pick up my uniform at 4pm today. So, I went alone. Yes, I was nervous like a child, but I marched on. All the little kids yell "ciao!" at me - all the whites around here are Italian, so that's the greeting the learn. There are a few streets - all spread out. I couldn't remember how far we walked before turning right - I was hoping I'd recognize the tailor's shop when I saw it, but I didn't think to make mental notes when going in with Mercy on Thursday. I took the first right and saw a tailor's shop right away! Easy! Walked up and in and... nope, wrong tailor shop. I sead a nervous and apologetic "habari" and walked on. I saw something familiar a block down so turned and saw another tailor shop - this one looking more familiar. Yep! There's that iron on the counter (filled with red hot coals) just like before. The lady was all smiles when she saw me. I inspected my new uniform, paid for the next one and requested that the next uniform have real pockets, not just slits. A must for a nursing shirt! Proud of my own success, I mounted the street home. On the short, two-block walk I passed two roaming camels and a larch bull. Of course, everyone stared at me from start to finish and many people attempted conversation. Five young boys saw me walk passed and began shouting at me "how arre you, verrdy white!??!" Proud of their english I'm sure! When I returned home with uniform in hand, Mercy's three children were laying on my front porh. I invited them in and they have since been coloring. What a joy it is to be surrounded by children!

No comments:

Post a Comment