Saturday, June 4, 2011

a little on life

Hello all!

Sorry for the long delay in blog posts. It seems to me that everything here is average and there's not much to write about, but I think I could probably describe the way I took a bath last night and interest some of you:) It's a good thing to be getting used to the everyday life here though. There has been a struggle for water here lately. I'm not sure the problem. I hear word that it is an internal and intentionally unfair rationing. I prefer to just stay naive to the politics of the rationing for now... but it has caused some extra maneuvering to have enough water to wash and keeps my house a little funky with extra rationing of toilet flushing!

Last night was my neighbor's birthday. We went into town for a dinner of ugali (like grits) and roasted goat meat - the most common meal here. It was nice to spend an evening relaxing with friends outside of the compound. I am learning more and more of the language which makes life easier and times like last night more fun for me... but I'm not affluent enough to understand any detail. For now, I just get excited to understand the general idea of the conversations.

I am learning SO much at work. There are three wonderful doctors here that are so patient with me and often take the time to answer my floods of questions and teach me about all these new diseases like malaria and tuberculosis. My favorite days in the ward are when the doctors do rounds with me. I get to tell them all the complaints of the patients over the past few days and watch them do whatever procedures like echographies and reading xrays and general assessments. I feel like I have learned a lifetime of material in these two months and know that it will continue on like that as long as I am here.

I am spending as much time as I can with the Sisters. They are such a joy to be around. I am learning the catholic catechism with one of the sisters. We meet once or twice a week for an hour and talk about the beliefs of the catholic church. It is a wonderful and direct way to learn about the base of both the original church and the christian faith. This sort of class learning has been great for the intellectual in me to help understand my own beliefs better. And of course it's wonderful to have my brilliant fiance to discuss the many questions I develop in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment