Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chaktuchak

I headed out early today. I grabbed a songthau (a truck with two benches in the back for passengers) to the BTS (the skytrain... like the marta but nicer). It took about 40 minutes on the BTS to go from the farthest south station - On Nut - to the farthest north station - Mo Chit - where I disembarked for a day at the tourists dream... Chaktuchak outdoor market. Thousands of stalls of useless Asian knickknacks framed by anything else you can imagine from liveanimal to beads to fine furniture and antiques. The only thing I didn't want to leave without was a pair of chopsticks for my brother Reid (Reid, if you are reading this, act surprised when you get them in the mail;) Ibought him a pair at the same market three years ago -they have since come up missing. PERFECT!!! because his birthday is next month (march 4th for those who want to send lots of money, gifts and love!) I did come awaywith some lovely sticks, a pottery mug - so nice for my morning coffee treat- a comb for my unruly mess, an iced latte for a treat and some cinnamon - a rare commodity here. I spent several hours wondering the allies - some stores I passed at least 10 times because I got soturned around.
What a wonderful thing for the calm of my spirit to spend a day exploring along. Thought I was surrounded by bustle, i was quite alone. Though I listened to many conversations, I had none of my own. A great break for the ole' cords! I took a few pictures of particular scenes I remember from my day wondering with Melanie - dishes, lots of dishes! and orchids/hanging pl
ants. I enjoyed walking the many stuffy hallways lined with books of all languages - more lonely planets (of archival years) at Chaktuchak than anywhere else on this lonely planet I believe. I got over my fear of taking pictures - encouraged by the enormous SLRs that hung from my market peers' necks and too knowing I am currently in Asia... I believe the sentiment is "if there's not a photo, it didn't happen to an Asian."







1 comment:

  1. Ha, so true. Asian tourists are the best at photo journaling... I think Jim and Kelly might be part Asian. They love taking video and making slide shows of every family event. We poked a little fun at Jim this weekend because he forgot to bring his flip camera to the Birthday weekend.

    ReplyDelete